The great thing about a taco is that it can be made with a variety of fillings and served with endless toppings. Eggplant and Mushroom Tacos goes well with soft tortillas or hard shells.
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy healthy Eggplant and Mushroom Tacos.
You can serve this colorful dish with hard or soft tortillas.
We all have value. Everything we face, the things we do, the things that come through our lives are all so valuable. You never know how a simple event can affect you later, or what it can teach you. You can witness a person reaching out to a stranger and it will inspire you to do the same. The falling leaves from a tree could be a reminder of how precious time is and motivate you to call a long, forgotten friend just to tell them thank you or that you still care about them. Every little detail of a day can be transformed into an important switch to your life. It is incredible how everything is just meant to be.
With all these “coincidences” we choose what we want to do and who we want to be. We shape ourselves into an ideal character. We also train ourselves how to be in front of others, how to speak, how to dress. So often we choose our habits and hobbies, even our profession.
I was talking to a chef friend the other day and we were sharing our love of cooking. We both enjoy watching people eat and seeing their reaction and how satisfied they are with what we’ve created. This act of nourishing and comforting somebody is a gesture of pure love. And this makes me happy. Everytime. It doesn’t seem to matter how many times I cook for someone, it’s always a beautiful moment.
I sometimes think I could have been a security guard or a bank teller, a teacher who gives knowledge, or a hairstylist who makes people pretty. And all these professions are valuable and important in everyday life. We are here to help and support one another.
It is important to see the value in yourself and what you do.
By the way, my friend who doesn’t care for eggplant’s flavor or its texture ate this dish and asked for more! What a joy it was for me to see he liked it. It is a healthy recipe, which takes just 20 minutes to make.
Eggplant and Mushroom Tacos with Crunchy Cole Slaw with hard or soft shells are flavorful and easy to put together.
In this recipe, I used organic blue and yellow corn hard taco shell but goes well with soft tortillas too.
- 1 eggplant, medium
- 1 red onion, small
- 1 tomato, large (we used a yellow heirloom tomato)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortillas, your choice of hard or soft
- 1/4 white cabbage, small
- 1 carrot, medium
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- To make cole slaw combine shredded cabbage, carrot ribbons (use a peeler to make the ribbons), arugula, lemon juice, touch of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For hard shells, unwrap and place them on a baking sheet, pulled slightly apart. Bake until crisp at 325˚F, about 5-7 minutes. This makes them crispy and wakes up the flavor after being in the packaging.
- For soft tortillas, take a stack in place them in a ceramic tortilla warmer in a 350˚F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Or you can wrap 4-6 tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- For taco filling preheat heavy skillet on medium high.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chopped or sliced eggplant and mushrooms. Cook until tender and slightly browned. About 5 minutes.
- Add herbs, chopped garlic, tomato, salt and pepper. Cook for about 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat. Add cilantro and combine gently.
- Build tacos and serve with avocado on top or on a side.