Coconut butter is creamy and spreadable at room temperature. It does not need to be refrigerated and has a shelf life up to 12 months or more, but we promise it won’t last that long!
Once my friend was making something in the kitchen and I saw this jar filled with white stuff on the counter. I asked, “What is it?” and she said it was coconut butter. I was curious, “Really? How do you make coconut butter?” She replied, “I’m not sure. But it’s pretty pricy in the stores.” She gave me a spoonful to taste. I made a face before trying it, thinking it would have a fatty texture similar to butter and impossible to eat on its own without piece of toast or something. Much to my surprise it wasn’t like that at all. It is incredibly delicious.
I started asking questions: what’s in it, where do you buy it, what do you do with it, is it good for you, etc. At the time she couldn’t answer all my inquiries, so I did some research on my own. She was absolutely right that this stuff is pricey in the stores, but it can be used in so many things–raw deserts, homemade candies, sauces, filling for pastries, smoothies, pancake toppings, “butter” for toast–I had to find a way to get it into my pantry.
The best part about coconut butter is that it has only one ingredient and you can make it at home! I was so happy and excited when I came across this information and got right on it. Man, I was putting that coconut butter on everything, including spooning it right out of the jar into my mouth. You can drizzle it on fruit, ice cream and cook with it. As a butter replacement for baking, 1:1 works every time. You can also make coconut milk with 1 tablespoon of coconut butter in a blender with 1 cup of purified water. Add a pinch of sea salt and coconut sugar to sweeten it, perfect for smoothies, cereals, or to drink as is.
Is coconut butter good for you? Yes!
Coconut butter is a whole food packed with natural oils and extremely nutritious. It is fantastic for your skin and hair. It boosts your metabolism. It is a super-antioxidant. Coconut has antimicrobial and antiviral qualities. It nourishes the thyroid, helps with weight loss and feeds the brain. It is recommended to take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil daily and coconut butter is one of the easiest tastiest way to do it! This superfood makes you beautiful and healthy from the inside out!
Coconut butter will become hard in the refrigerator. Just leave it out for a few minutes and it will soften as it gets to room temperature.
Easy recipe on how to make organic coconut butter.
- 4 cups organic, raw, unsweetened shredded coconut, or coconut flakes
- Place shredded coconut into a food processor or high-speed blender (Blendtec or Vitamix). Do not use sweetened, reduced fat or fresh coconut. In a Blendtec or Vitamix blender it will take 3-5 minutes to process the coconut into butter. It will take 15-20 minutes to blend in a food processor.
- Process it until completely smooth, about 15-20 minutes. Time depends on the power of your machine and whether you use shredded coconuts or coconut flakes.
- Scrape the coconut off the sides with spatula, if necessary.
- Do not add any oils or water. Be patient and it will turn into creamy goodness!
- 4 cups of shredded coconut makes 8 ounces of coconut butter. It is easier for the food processor or blender to work with 4 cups of coconut or more. If you use less than 4 cups, you will have to continuously scrape the sides of the food processor or blender and it can over heat the machine.
- Coconut butter does not need refrigeration!
- Итак, нам потребуется Скоростной Блендер, например Блендтэк или Вайтамикс. Или очень хороший Кухонный Комбайн. Да, к сожалению, если машинка не очень сильная, нужного результата мы не добьемся.
- Минимум 4 стакана кокосовой стружки. 4 стакана кокосовой стружки – примерно 240 мл кокосового масла. Если делать кокосовое масло в меньшем количестве, придется счищать стенки блендера или комбайна гораздо чаще, что может привести к перегреву мотора.
- Поместите кокосовую стружку в блендер или кухонный комбайн с обычным лезвием и запустите машину до тех пор, пока масса не станет кремообразной, периодически останавливая и счищая стенки комбайна ложкой. В блендере это займет примерно 5 минут, а в кухонном комбайне - минут 10-15. Если хочется больше вкуса, добавьте ложку меда, корицу, мускатный орех или ванильный экстракт.
- Кокосовое масло не обязательно ставить в холодильник, оно не испортится долгое время.
- Вот наглядный пример, вы можете посмотреть видеo здесь.