These sweet dumplings are so good that everyone pitches in to help to make them. There is a trick to making them faster and we call these Lazy Dumplings.
There are two types of kids: Kids that eat everything, and kids that are finicky. You don’t have to worry about the kids who love to eat and try new things. However, it can be a tough battle with kids who are picky. When we were little, my brother and I were open-minded compared to our cousins, but when came time to make sweet dumplings, aka vareniki, everyone was excited and willing to help to make it.
This usually occurred at my grandma’s house during the summer. We would pick cherries off the trees, pit the seeds, then top it with sugar. Sweet farmer’s cheese or savory mashed potatoes with caramelized onions were other fillings we made. Grandma would roll homemade dough, cut it with the rim of a cup and let everyone stuff it with the fillings. Kids absolutely loved dumplings with cherries and farmer’s cheese topped with homemade sour cream – it was a meal to die for.
When you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to go through stuffing each dumpling, there is a trick on how to make them faster. It’s the lazy way, but it’s not less delicious. That is why they are called Lazy Dumplings. Instead of rolling the dough and stuffing the filling, you incorporate the filling into the dough. You roll it into a rope about 1-inch thick and cut ½ inch pieces.
The easiest part is to cook it. Boil the water, gently drop in each and wait a few minutes until they float to the top. At this point they are ready. Spoon them out into a large bowl or individual plates and serve.
These little guys can be served topped with sour cream, condensed milk, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, or your favorite fruits such as bananas and strawberries on the side.
Lazy Dumplings are perfect for a breakfast or brunch meal. Or if you like it as much as we do – any time of the day!
- 1 cup Farmer's Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil or Butter
- Handful of Strawberries
- Handful Blueberries
- 1-2 Bananas
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2-3 tablespoons Condensed Milk
- 1 pint Heavy Cream
- Boil 2 quarts of water in a stock pot.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine farmer’s cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well. Start adding flour until a ball forms. Dough should be soft and not sticky and wet.
- Dust your hands with flour so dough doesn’t stick and form a rope by rolling it on the table.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- When water is boiling, add dumplings and let cook until they float on top – 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon it out to a bowl, add a little coconut oil so it doesn’t stick together, then plate or serve family style with sauce on a side.
- For garnish, roasted pistachios (whole and ground in a blender) and lavender.
- You can serve whipped cream on the side or put it in the sauce with fruit.
Lazy Dumplings with Farmer’s Cheese | Lenivie Vareniki