We all know that it is dangerous to go to the grocery store hungry. Often I think I’m okay for now and think I can get through the shopping process, but as soon as I step into the store, my stomach starts talking and growling like I haven’t eaten for days. So the other day we went to a big market with long, warehouse-wide isles with colorful goods all around. I got stuck staring at pistachios, thinking it’s a fantastic treat we haven’t had in forever. I also thought it was a perfect snack to reduce our appetite until we get home.
I was reading the label and completely entranced by the beautiful packaging, when I heard a man’s voice say, “Those are really salty.” In my head I thought, “Pff! So?” and made myself believe he was not talking to me at all. We bought it and I opened the bag like a child before we got to the car. And guess what? After a little less than a handful of pistachios I was screaming for water. It was irresponsibly salty! For a while it was quiet in the car because neither of us wanted to eat any more of it nor admit that we didn’t want to. We both thought it was such a waste.
Then I had a brilliant idea! What if I ground the pistachios in a food processor with avocados for a twist on guacamole? The combination turned out to be fantastic–creamy avocado and pistachio with fresh lime, cilantro, onion and spicy jalapeño. No salt needed. Ha! Off course I thought I discovered a new star, but search results is full of similar pistachio-guacamole. Go figure. It is okay, I’m very glad we found a way to use those nuts. It can be a pricy appetizer, but worth it.
Grab your favorite beer and chips and give this Pistachio Guacamole a try.
- 3/4 pistachios
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 jalapeño
- Black pepper
- Chop pistachios for 30 seconds in a food processor until desired consistency.
- Add avocado and process for another 20 seconds.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice in the food processor the rest of the ingredients and pulse few times or more if you want a creamier consistency.
- Serve with fresh cut assorted raw vegetables for dipping or your favorite chips or crackers.
- 3/4 стакана фисташек
- 2 зрелых авокадо
- 1 лайм
- 1/2 маленькой луковицы
- 1 халапеньо (или любой зеленый острый чили)
- 1-2 столовые ложки нарезанной кинзы
- Соль и перец по вкусу
- Измельчите фисташковые орехи в кухонном комбайне в течение 30 секунд. Добавьте авокадо и пульсируйте еще секунд 20. Выжмите сок лайма, добавьте остальные ингредиенты и пульсируйте до понравившейся вам консистенции - кремообразной или с кусочками.
- Если у вас нет кухонного комбайна, то нарежьте мелко фисташки, лук и халапеньо, вилкой раздавите зрелые авокадо в пюре, добавьте сок лайма и кинзу. Соль и перец по вкусу.
- Подавайте со свежими овощами или любимыми чипсами - крекерами.