Gluten-free, guilt-free raw Almond Joy bars!
When I was 16 and going to college I decided to go to cosmetology school. It was a short program (no nails or makeup) taking up only a few days a week focusing just on hair. I was excited to buy my good quality Japanese scissors, sharp and ready to work. There were tons of other instruments in my arsenal, aprons, blow dryer, brushes, irons, etc.
I was fully armed and on the first day of class I was given my first hair cut. Yes, that’s right, a haircut on the first day of school! It sounds hardcore even for Russia. My hands were shaking and my knees were dragging me down. There was no lecture, theory or notes to reference at that point, just a person who wanted a haircut and me. My teacher walked by and said, “You can start cutting his hair. I’ll be right with you.” and she left.
I could see the other girls and guys working with their clients and the instructor seemed to be helping them out by showing them how to hold the scissor and hair while cutting. To say I was shocked and scared to death is an understatement.
The instructor eventually came over to my station. This entire time I was brushing the poor guy’s head. Her words were, “Hair is not a hand. If you cut it, it will grow back.” She finally showed me how to hold the scissors and the basic pattern for a men’s haircut. I finally had some guidelines and now I could visualize the lines of the cut and if the cuts were straight, but my hands didn’t stop shaking for the next week or two.
All the people who came to our school for a haircut usually men and old ladies were volunteers. They knew the process would take longer, but it was also free. There were those who were grumpy and complained, but overall nobody left with bad haircut. As we progressed, we learned theory and color, chemistry and hair structure. We practiced on a volunteer almost every day, which really taught us the best. But I will never forget that first time cutting hair.
Learn how to make the best raw “Almond Joy” bars!
There is a first time for everything in our lives. As much as I was avoiding baking and making desserts, I had my first time with it as well, like this Raw “Almond Joy” Bars. It’s the easiest recipe you can find anywhere on the Internet and it was my first experiment with our new food processor. It took very little time to prepare it and there is no cooking involved. The food processor has become my favorite kitchen appliance that we have. But the best part is how the Raw “Almond Joy” Bars came out!
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey, maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips, your choice of chocolate
- Process shredded coconuts and almonds in a food processor until creamy, like a thick peanut butter. Put it in the refrigerator (or freezer) to firm up.
- In a double boiler melt chocolate over gently simmering water (not boiling water), stirring constantly until chocolate is melted. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Remove coconut-almond mixture from the refrigerator. It should be firm and hard enough to shape into small squares. Shape the firmed coconut-almond mixture into your favorite candy shape.
- Dip the coconut almond bars into the melted chocolate one at a time. Coat the bar thoroughly using two forks. Remove the bar from the chocolate and while it is on one fork, tap it to remove excess chocolate.
- Place the candies on a cold plate and put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Keep the candies refrigerated.
- For those who want to be sure to keep this purely raw, please note that tempering chocolate or coconut oil is still considered a raw process as long as you do not heat the product over 43°C or 109°F. At this temperature enzymes and nutrients are still living. Cacao butter melts around 34-36°C or 93.2-96.8°F, so be sure the water in your boiler does not exceed 43°C.
- 3 стакана кокосовой стружки
- 1 стакан сырого миндаля
- 1-2 столовые ложки меда
- 1 чайная ложка ванильного экстракта
- 1 стакан шоколада на ваш выбор
- Размельчите кокосовую стружку и миндаль в блендере или кухонном комбайне до кремообразной массы. Поставьте в морозилку на 10 минут.
- Тем временем растопите шоколад на водяной бане, иногда помешивая.
- Слепите руками плотные прямоугольники или кубики из кокосово-миндальной массы.
- Затем двумя вилками опустите конфету в шоколад, постучите вилкой о край, чтобы лишний шоколад стек и положите конфету на плоскую тарелку. Повторите со всеми конфетами.
- Поставьте в холодильник на пол часа или час.
- Оставшийся шоколад вылейте на фольгу и положите в холодильник до следующего раза или для других кулинарных творений.