Relationships can have some tough moments. It involves constant work, commitment, and respect. It takes love and patience. And even though relationships do not always last, it is important to be grateful for the time you had together and things you learned from each other.
Without going into personal details, a friend recently went through a tough breakup and it was not easy for either side. When they were finally ready to talk to each other again, they did this exercise, or let’s say practice, that requires you to say what you were grateful for during the relationship. So putting the hurt and sadness aside, you create a list of good things and memories you have for one another. One of the things on the list my friend received was a particular salad he made. Yes, a salad, so simple and sweet. His partner said that this salad was one of the things he now cherished and that he misses it.
We used to make a similar salad and planned to share it here, but never did it. But after this story, it inspired and motivated us to post our friend’s recipe. This recipe is extremely easy, packed with flavor, and filling. It can easily be served as a main course. A simple combination of ingredients creates a protein-packed, rich, and colorful meal in just under 15 minutes.
The main difference between my friend’s recipe and our bean, tuna and tomato salad is that he uses apple cider vinegar and black beans. We use lemon juice and creamy cannellini beans. I like the health benefits of using ACV. You can read about those benefits in our recent Turmeric and Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic article.
You can also mix and match ingredients. For example, there is no restriction on the kind of beans to use, kidney beans, navy beans, garbanzo beans or even lentils. Using canned or dry beans are also up to you. You can add crunchy, sweet bell pepper, fresh spicy jalapeno, and switch parsley to cilantro or dill and so on. The main ingredients are tuna, legumes, tomatoes, onions, and the dressing made with ACV, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Stay positive, be grateful. Notice the good things, even if they are small. Most importantly, love and be thankful for what you have.
Avocado is also a wonderful ingredient to add to Black Bean, Tuna and Tomato Salad.
- 5-oz can of tuna in water
- 15-oz can of beans
- Bunch of parsley
- Handful of mixed greens
- 1 medium tomato
- Handful of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice red onion and top with ACV in a bowl. Set aside.
- While the onion is marinating, chop tomatoes, greens, and parsley.
- Drain the tuna. Add it to the bowl with the beans, tomatoes, greens and parsley.
- Add EVOO, salt and pepper to the onion and ACV mixture. Pour over the ingredients.
- Mix well and enjoy.
- If you plan to use dry beans, soak them overnight. Rinse and cover the beans in an inch of water. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat for about an hour or until fork tender. Length of cooking time depends on the age, size and variety of the bean.
Latest posts by ChipotlePotato (see all)
- Sesame Soba Noodles - 08/04/2019
- Matcha Chia Seeds Pudding with Raspberries and Hemp Seeds - 07/23/2019
- Watermelon and Feta Summer Appetizer - 07/17/2019