While I was on FaceTime with my mom today, she asked my dad to make a cup of tea. When she made the first sip, she closed her eyes and said it tastes so good when he makes it. I asked her what is the difference. What was so special about the tea he makes? She said nothing, just that it always tastes better when he makes. There is so much love between them and they really appreciate that cozy feeling of taking care of and doing something for each other. It was a beautiful moment to witness.
I agree that when I make food it’s not the same as when somebody else makes it for me. These days it is even more special since I’m cooking all the time. When somebody says, “I’ll make it for you”, I’m ready to melt, even if they just cut up an apple or make a simple toast. It’s so good.
Lemon Spaghetti is a delicious entrée or a side
On lazy days I crave for simplicity. Lemon Spaghetti recipe is just that. This particular recipe is very easy to make and some might say it’s too plain. But sometimes that is exactly what you want! Fresh, warm herbs with briny capers will surprise you with every bite. Lemon, capers, and Parmesan are a perfect match, and this simple combination of flavors hits the spot every time. You can also add mushrooms, tomatoes, roasted vegetables, grilled fish, chicken, or just about anything you like.
The conversation with my mom reminded me to stop for a moment and appreciate the ones you love and the things they do for you. Simple things make a day wonderful. Take time to listen to yourself and others. Hear what your body wants and tame your mind. Trust it. Be still for a moment.
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons capers
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-5 tablespoons pasta water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful fresh thyme and sage, or your favorite combination of herbs.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta. Cook according to the instructions on the package.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a small skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add capers and gently fry until the capers become crispy. Add the chopped herbs and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Grate the zest from the lemon. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest, Parmesan, ground pepper, and mix in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Before draining the spaghetti, reserve a 1/4 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta when it is al dente and add it to the cheese mixture. Add the capers and chopped herbs. Toss thoroughly. If necessary, add a tablespoon or two of pasta water at a time to make sure the cheese mixture is evenly incorporated in the pasta.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper and extra Parmesan.
- •Parmesan is salty so be sure to taste the pasta before adding additional salt.
Latest posts by ChipotlePotato (see all)
- Sesame Soba Noodles - 08/04/2019
- Matcha Chia Seeds Pudding with Raspberries and Hemp Seeds - 07/23/2019
- Watermelon and Feta Summer Appetizer - 07/17/2019