Sirniki or syrniki is an all-time favorite breakfast in Eastern European countries. A crispy, golden exterior, and a creamy inside create a perfect combination of texture most of us can’t resist.
We all like texture. And we are particular about the textures we like. Textures can be comforting or something new we’ve never experienced before. Textures go perfectly with colors and patterns and is part of a composition. It is how our brain processes things.
A child may like carrots, but only if it’s cut a certain way. If he or she likes them cut in strips, then you cut them in rounds, they suddenly don’t like it and push it away while making a face. We accept things as we are used to them as kids or as adventurous adults.
The culinary world is full of surprises…and beautiful transformations. When milk ferments and starts to curdle and separate you get curd and whey. Whey is what remains once you separate the curd from the liquid. (Whey can be used for many recipes such as pancakes, crepes, bread dough, and other baked goods.) The fresh curd is cottage cheese. It is mild and sweet in flavor.
The curd is strained through cheesecloth to remove the remaining whey. There are two kinds of whey, sweet and sour. Sweet whey made using rennet is used for making harder cheeses. Soft cheeses are produced without rennet. Acids such as citric acid or vinegar or cultured milk (buttermilk), is used to make these cheeses. Cheese made this way include cottage cheese, paneer, queso blanco, and farmer cheese. The Chinese make a cheese called pinyin, or rubing, which is a firm cheese made from goat’s milk.
After the curds are strained through the cheesecloth it can be pressed to make a firmer cheese (farmer cheese) or left as is, loose (cottage cheese). You can add jam, honey, maple syrup, nuts and fruit for a nutritious breakfast or snack that is rich in proteins, B-complex vitamins, and minerals. Alternatively, you can create savory dips by adding spices, herbs, and garlic.
Cottage cheese is rich in magnesium. It keeps our heart healthy and maintains blood sugar levels. It’s been known to help with weight loss and is popular with athletes, pregnant women, and vegetarians for its high level of casein protein and bioavailable calcium.
Today, we want to share our sweet cottage cheese, aka farmer cheese, sirniki recipe. It’s a perfect and a fun breakfast for kids as well as for adults. Basically, it’s a guilt-free, healthy alternative to cheesecake. It seems like a crime, but who can resist starting a day with that!
These cheese pancakes are pillow-soft and surprisingly light. Sirniki is easily digested and full of macronutrients – a healthy breakfast for you and your family.
- 2 cups farmers cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons semolina or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Flour for dusting
- Coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- With clean hands roll 1 1/2 inch balls. Dust them in flour and lightly press down to shape into discs.
- Preheat coconut oil in a heavy skillet and cook croquettes on medium-high heat until both sides are golden brown.
- Top with sour cream, jam, honey, fresh fruit and enjoy!
- You can add anything you like into the batter: cinnamon, raisins, chocolate chips, dry cherries, nuts etc. Be creative and bon appétit!
- 500 гр творога
- 1 яйцо
- 1 ст л сахара или мёда
- 2 ст л манной крупы или муки
- 1 ч л ванили
- Мука для обваливания
- Кокосовое масло для жарки
- Перемешайте все ингредиенты
- Из полученной массы скатайте шарики, обваляйте в муке и немного прижмите до нужной формы.
- Разогрейте масло в сковородке и жарьте сырники до золотистого цвета с двух сторон.
- Подавайте с фруктами, вареньем, сметаной, мёдом.
- В массу можно добавить орехи, изюм, шоколад, корицу и прочее.
Latest posts by ChipotlePotato (see all)
- Sesame Soba Noodles - 08/04/2019
- Matcha Chia Seeds Pudding with Raspberries and Hemp Seeds - 07/23/2019
- Watermelon and Feta Summer Appetizer - 07/17/2019